About the Job
A FEMALE school secretary works in the administrative office of an elementary school, middle school, or high school, and is responsible for performing daily clerical work. The job description of a school secretary involves interacting with students and parents, tracking attendance records, mailing school forms, and managing the school calendar.
A school secretary answers the office phone and transfers calls as necessary, processes tuition payments, maintains student records, welcomes school visitors, and handles any day-to-day clerical needs required by the school.
1. The candidate should be young, pleasant in demeanor and capable of handling the front office, draft letters, communicate with parents, visitors and clients and coordinate efforts of the school staff in its daily running.
2. No accommodation will be provided as this is a day school.
3. Must be fluent in both written and spoken English and Hindi.
4. Only female candidates preferred.
5. Computer knowledge.
6. Confidentiality a must.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a School Secretary
- Answer telephone and addresses caller questions and concerns.
- Transfers calls to proper individual and/or department as needed.
- Mails student report cards, school brochures, and other necessary forms.
- Welcomes visitors to the school and provides directions around the building as needed.
- Types up and contributes to school bulletin or newsletter.
- Assists in designing and drawing up promotional and informational materials for parents.
- Provides students with tardy slips.
- Maintains records of student absences.
- Accepts and processes tuition and school lunch payments from parents.
- Makes bank deposits.
- Sorts and distributes mail delivered to school office.
- Contacts parents in the event of student illness or behavioral issues.
- Maintains student records and files.
- Uses computer database or filing system to update records as necessary.
- Manages and updates school calendar.
- Provides administrative support to principal or other upper level administrator as needed.
- Takes dictation and transcribes documents.
- Attends office meetings and takes minutes.
- Distributes paychecks to school staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintains professional and friendly demeanor.
- Possesses excellent organizational skills.
- Is capable of managing time efficiently.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task effectively.
- Works well with a variety of students, administrators, and parents.
- Exhibits ability to remain polite and calm when dealing with troublesome students or frustrated parents.
- Possesses basic computer skills and knowledge of word processing programs.
- Is familiar with budget and publishing software such as Quicken and Adobe.
- Demonstrates ability to think creatively.
- Demonstrates strong writing and editing abilities.
- Possesses excellent telephone etiquette.
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Is capable of handling confidential student records in a responsible fashion.
- Demonstrates familiarity with basic office equipment such as multi-line phones, fax machines, and scanners.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree is recommended.
- Previous work experience in an office setting is required.
- The majority of working hours will be spent in an office setting.
- Light physical activity such as walking and standing, is required on a daily basis.
- Some local travel to complete office errands may be required.